I don’t know whether it’s the change in seasons, or whether it’s because I finally got around to reading Marie Kondo’s The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, but I’m feeling a renewed enthusiasm for decluttering.
And like everyone else, I find myself pondering certain items and wondering whether or not letting go of them is the best move. Kondo takes a strict approach: if an object doesn’t “spark joy”, out it goes. Well, frankly I find that a little extreme, and if you’re not ready for that level of purge, I think there’s a danger you’ll get stuck and do nothing.
So, I looked back at my materials from my Professional Organizing business and refreshed and updated 25 questions to help you if you’re struggling with the decision to let go:
- Do you use it regularly?
- When was the last time you used it? …1-2 years is a good cut-off.
- When do you next plan to use it? …if you don’t know, don’t keep it!
- Are you obliged to keep it for legal/tax reasons?
- Is it broken? …what are the chances you’ll ever fix it?
- Is it dirty or obsolete?
- Is it an unnecessary duplicate?
- Do you wear it? Does it fit? Does it flatter you?
- Could someone else get better value from it?
- If you lost it in a fire, would you replace it?
- If you were moving overseas, would you pay to ship it with you?
- If you were to die next week, would your relatives wonder why you kept it?
- What’s the worst that can happen, if you get rid of it?
- Can you borrow or hire the item, if you find you need it?
- Can you find this information online, instead?
- Could you turn this item into a digital version?
- If this item were gone, would you notice?
- Do you love it?
- Do you love the item, or just the person who gave it to you?
- If it represents a memory, can you keep just part of it instead?
- What does this teach you? Can you learn the lesson without keeping the item?
- Does this item represent someone you no longer are?
- Do you welcome the feeling(s) this item triggers?
- Would you miss this item if it were gone?
- Would you be happier without this item?
You may not want another sheet of paper in your life(!) but if you’d like to download a pdf of these questions for handy reference when you’re decluttering, here it is:
I’d love to know if prompts like these are helpful for you. How do you make the decision on what to keep and what to lose?
Would you like free tips and tools to manage your website and writing time?
Sign up to get resources by email, every 2 weeks: