It’s time to stop beating about the bush and get this out there. I am writing a novel. There. I’ve said it.
It started out as pure fun, then became a project ‘I just want to finish’, but now, after 78,000 words, I think I might have something that others would want to read, too.
I’m embarrassed because I have friends who are real writers. Never mind that I have had nine non-fiction pieces published (yes, with payment). The fact remains, I have not written fiction since I was sixteen. Twenty-five years later, here I am, giving it a whirl. Is the phrase ‘mid-life-crisis’ coming to mind yet?
If you have found this page and are on the brink of declaring yourself about to begin your first novel, I salute you, I respect you, and if you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, I’ll be right there back at you.
Nonetheless, I suggest – no, urge – you to view these 5 links first:
- So You Want to Write a Novel (video)
- So You Want to be a Writer (poem by Charles Bukowski)
- So You Want to Write a Novel (The Next Big Writer)
- Feeling daunted yet? Check out Famous Author Rejection letters (Writer’s Relief) – and scroll down to the list of authors who struggled to get published.
- And to finish: Just Write the Damned Book Already (Joseph Finder).
Now, what are you waiting for? …See you in the slush pile.
Would you like free tips and tools to manage your website and writing time?
Sign up to get resources by email, every 2 weeks: