It’s time to stop beating about the bush and get this out there. I am writing a novel. There. I’ve said it.
It started out as pure fun, then became a project ‘I just want to finish’, but now, after 78,000 words, I think I might have something that others would want to read, too.
I’m embarrassed because I have friends who are real writers. Never mind that I have had nine non-fiction pieces published (yes, with payment). The fact remains, I have not written fiction since I was sixteen. Twenty-five years later, here I am, giving it a whirl. Is the phrase ‘mid-life-crisis’ coming to mind yet?
If you have found this page and are on the brink of declaring yourself about to begin your first novel, I salute you, I respect you, and if you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, I’ll be right there back at you.
Nonetheless, I suggest – no, urge – you to view these 5 links first:
- So You Want to Write a Novel (video)
- So You Want to be a Writer (poem by Charles Bukowski)
- So You Want to Write a Novel (The Next Big Writer)
- Feeling daunted yet? Check out Famous Author Rejection letters (Writer’s Relief) – and scroll down to the list of authors who struggled to get published.
- And to finish: Just Write the Damned Book Already (Joseph Finder).
Now, what are you waiting for? …See you in the slush pile.
Would you like a free 8-step Simple Website Starter Kit?
With clear explanations and impartial advice, you'll feel ready to make decisions on the purpose of your website, choosing a platform, and the main content you need.